Pulse as Third-Party Ad Server
Pulse can function as a third-party ad server, meaning you can extract a VAST URL from Pulse and implement it in other ad servers. The provided URL works as a third-party call to Pulse and then Pulse functions as a third-party redirect. The counting mechanism is the same. This means that we track inventory, impressions, clicks and so on.
Note: There is also the possibility to only track impressions. For more information, see Pixel Tracker Ads.
Please contact your Account Manager to enable the following functionalities for your account:
- VAST URLs to campaign, goals and ads
- Pixel tracker ads - for tracking purposes
Extracting the VAST URL
You can extract the VAST URL for ad calls when:
- you have an ad with a creative, or
- you choose to upload the creative later, which creates an empty placeholder ad.
In Pulse, you can extract the VAST URL for ad calls in various locations:
- VAST URL for ad calls on a campaign: from the campaign menu
- VAST URL for ad calls on a goal: from the goal menu, or by clicking on the VAST button () in the goal overview.
- VAST URL for ad calls on an ad: from the ad menu, or by clicking on the VAST button () in the ad overview.
- VAST URL for ad calls on a category: in Account, from the category menu, or by clicking on the VAST button () in the category overview.
- VAST URL for ad calls on a content partner: in Account, from the content partner menu, or by clicking on the VAST button () in the content partner overview.
Note: If a campaign that is targeted against this category/content partner has other targeting rules, for example tag targeting rules, these are not automatically picked up as the VAST URL does not contain these tags. In that case, the tags must be added to the exported VAST URL.
Example: Extracting the VAST URL of a Pre-Roll Ad on Ad Level
- Go to Campaigns () and locate the desired campaign.
- From the Campaign overview, go to the ad level and locate the desired ad.
- You can Export the VAST URL in 2 ways:
- go to the Ad menu and click on Export VAST URL, or
- activate the dropdown and click on the VAST button.
The following window shows up:
- Copy the VAST URL.
- Add the VAST URL to another ad server.
- Add a Pixel Tracker Preroll ad to the parent goal/campaign in Pulse.
- Repeat the steps above to extract the Pixel Tracker Preroll VAST URL and implement it in the other ad server.
The table below describes the behaviour of a VAST call and explains when inventory is tracked.